Willard Library Photos from BC History Tan Top Right
Home Streets Photos
Stores
GROCERIES AND MARKETS
  • Advertisement for P.H. Green's store, 1861
  • L.A. Fagan Fruits and Confectionary, circa 1879
  • Richard Merritt's grocery, Calhoun Street
  • Tony Charameda in front of Basso Fruit Store, 11 East Main Street (later Michigan Avenue)
  • Tony Charameda store, Sam and Tony Charameda with employee (left to right)
  • Parker Groceries (426 Champion Street); wooden structure at curb is "gas station" for early automobiles
  • Tsapanou and Peter Confectionery, 90 South Jefferson Street in 1912 City Directory
  • Bazley's Market (grocery store)
  • Market owned by Frank and Reta (Charameda) Cusmano, corner of Yuba and Main Streets
  • L.A. Woods grocery store
  • Tsapanou and Peter store, 1912 (Vasil Peter in cap, facing right)

  • OTHER BATTLE CREEK STORES

  • Early B.C. business
  • Early B.C. stores, circa 1910-15
  • Herps Department Store, July 1985
  • Jury-Rowe's Furniture store, next to Old Kent Bank, 1986
  • Taylor Made Candy Shop
  • Jewel Box and Jos. C. Grand Company, West Michigan Avenue, circa late 1960's
  • B.C. Floor Covering Company and adjacent buildings
  • L. W. Robinson building
  • S.H. Knox and Company, 22-24 West Main Street circa early 1900's
  • McLellan's Clothing Store, March 1950
  • L.B. Brockett and Sons Hardware, 10-12 West State Street (1923-31)
  • Margaret O'Toole's hat shop, circa 1913-15 (postcard)
  • B.C. Floor Covering Company
  • B.C. Floor Covering Company
  • Lakeview Dairy Products, East Michigan Avenue
  • Cannon Brothers the Peoples' Store
  • Ferguson and Talbot Clothing Store, built 1887, 19-21 North Jefferson (Capital Avenue Northeast)
  • Ferguson adn Talbot Clothing Store, built 1887
  • Very early furniture store (A.C. Hebbel?)
  • J.C. Penney store on Michigan Mall, June 1983, before moving to Lakeview Square Mall
  • Old Central Electric store
  • Interior of Central Electric store
  • Interior of Central Electric store
  • J.C. Penney Company, corner of Michigan Avenue and McCamly Street
  • Interior of Kresge's 5 and 10 store
  • Kresge's 5 and 10, and adjacent stores downtown
  • Interior of Kresge's 5 and10 store
  • Dowsett Drugs, corner of Calhoun and Howard Streets
  • Interior of Kresge's 5 and 10 store with staff at counter
  • Gemsch and Grienenberger meat store, circa 1877
  • Storefront of Central Electric Company
  • Clark's Rug Store, corner of East Michigan Avenue and Division Street
  • Storefront of Central Electric Company
  • Cooking demonstration by Central Electric Company, lobby of W.K. Kellogg Auditorium, circa 1950
  • Guarantee Electric Construction Company, 55 East Main Street, circa 1927
  • The Bargain Center owned by Charles Russell
  • Squier Music Company and adjacent stores downtown 
  • John Helmer, druggist (left); John Meador (right); drugstore at 9 East Michigan
  • Kresge's 5 and 10 store, December 1941
  • F.W. Woolworth Company July 1941
  • Kresge's 5 and 10 store, 1941 
  • Fletcher's and Thompson's, two businesses in the 1880's
  • F.I. Blake's store and post office, 1934
  • Store of Jonathan Hart, 1903
  • Congar and French block, 1868
  • Lakeview Square Mall under construction, January 1983
  • Lakeview Square Mall under construction, January 1983

  • OUTSIDE BATTLE CREEK

  • General store (Greenfield Village)
  • Jewelry shop of Sir John Bennett (Greenfield Village)
  • John C. Goodrich store, Marshall, circa 1916